15 Best things to do in Budva, Montenegro
Budva, Montenegro’s coastal gem, has long been a popular destination for travelers seeking a blend of history, culture, and beautiful beaches. This enchanting town offers a plethora of activities and attractions to suit every taste. In this article, we’ll take you through the 15 best things to do in Budva, from exploring ancient ruins to relaxing on pristine beaches, ensuring you make the most of your visit to this Montenegrin paradise.
If you’re planning to go to Montenegro, then you should not miss the amazing town of Budva. This town is located on the Adriatic Sea and is a part of the Budva Riviera. Do you like the beach and the nightlife? Budva is the destination you should go to! This town is popular for having wonderful beaches and vibrant nightlife. But of course, those are not the only things you can enjoy doing here. Below is the list of the things to do in Budva, Montenegro for a trip to remember!
You can find properties for rent in Montenegro here.
Learn more about temporary residence permits in Montenegro!
Are you looking for the best destinations for digital nomads in Montenegro? Then read this article – Discover the Best Places for Digital Nomads in Montenegro
If you are interested in longer-term solutions to relocating to Montenegro, visit the following pages:
- Emigrate to Montenegro: Residence Permit & Tax Residency Guide
- Relocation Services in Montenegro
- 10 Reasons You Should Register a Company in Montenegro in 2023
- Montenegro Residency by Company Formation (2023) – A Comprehensive Step-by-Step Guide
- Montenegro Company Formation & Residency Services – Fully Managed Solution
15 Best things to do in Budva, Montenegro
Best things to do in Budva, Montenegro
1. Altstadt (Old Town) Budva
The old town in Budva is a rather small space bounded by ancient walls, which you can easily get around everything in a couple of hours. Narrow cobbled streets, steep bends, an abundance of flowers, small shops on the first floors do not spoil the impression of the city at all. And in the evening, when soft lighting is turned on, the illusion appears like you are in a fairy tale. Such a magical place!
Budva Old Town – 15 Best things to do in Budva, Montenegro
2. Budva’s Statua Ballerina
On the way to Mogren Beach, you will pass the ballerina dancer. For some reason, the ballerina is the symbol of Budva and is located near Old Town. It is a great photo opportunity. However, it is a bit difficult to get to. So caution is always required so that you do not injure yourself or fall off the rock.
Budva Ballerina statue – 15 Best things to do in Budva, Montenegro
3. Old Budva Citadel
The medieval castle of the city of Budva, dedicated to St. Mary, better known as Citadel, is located within the walls of the city of Budva. This building complex is architecturally completely autonomous and features one of the most significant fortification objects dating back to the Middle Ages on the coast of Montenegro. From here, you have an excellent overview of the old town of Budva.
Citadel, Old Budva – 15 Best things to do in Budva, Montenegro
4. Mogren Beach, near Budva
Mogren is probably one of the best beaches in Budva. The water is azure, beautiful, and clean despite a lot of people. The beach itself is made of a mixture of sand and small pebbles. It is also surrounded by rocks, which looks very unusual. A nice place to relax with your family. However, it is a very crowded beach due to its proximity to the old town.
Mogren Beach, Budva – 15 Best things to do in Budva, Montenegro
5. Budva City Walls
If you have already reached the old town of Budva, why not wander along the fortress walls, from where you can enjoy beautiful views of both Budva and the sea. The fortress walls around the old town are well preserved. A short section in the Citadel area is open to the public, so you can climb and look at the surroundings from the top.
Budva City Walls – 15 Best things to do in Budva, Montenegro
6. Podmaine Monastery in Old Budva
Such a picturesque and very interesting small monastery in Budva. Not big at all, but cozy and colorful. The walk from the embankment will take no more than an hour. A walk here is highly recommended.
7 . Church of the Holy Trinity, Old Budva
The Holy Trinity Church is located next to St. John’s Cathedral, it does not amaze with its size, but delights with its solidity, modesty, the severity of forms, and at the same time soulfulness. It blows from it some kind of attractive beauty and Byzantine style!
Budva Holy Trinity Church – 15 Best things to do in Budva, Montenegro
8. Saint Ivan Church, Old Budva
This 17th-century Catholic cathedral, built in the 12th century and reconstructed after the earthquake in 1640, is located in the center of the Old Town of Budva and is visible from almost all points of Budva itself. The interior of the cathedral was once painted with frescoes, the remains of which have survived to this day in the lower parts of the walls.
9. Royal Beach, near Budva
A beautiful tranquil beach in a great surrounding. The beach itself is secluded and gives a calming feeling to anyone who visits it. The sea off the coast is clear, the coast attracts with its seclusion, which is largely due to the high entrance fees, and picturesque landscapes. The coastline is lined with olive trees and cypresses. You can get to the Royal Beach on foot from Milocer, St. Stephen.
10. City Museum of Budva
Small but very informative museum. The museum gives an insight into the history of the city from the time of the Greek and Roman settlements. You can find many Greek and Roman household items. Since the museum itself is small, you won’t get tired of wandering around. And outside there are pleasant stone benches for relaxation.
11. Krapina Village, near Budva
A delightful place near Budva. It is a small typical Montenegrin village, with nice little restaurants at affordable prices. This is a good alternative to seaside holidays and you can also have an opportunity to swim under a mountain waterfall. The place is really charming and deserves the trip. Such a great rest in silence and coolness even on the hottest days!
12. Rustovo monastery, Budva
The monastery was founded here relatively recently, in 2003, but the church on the territory dates back to the 14th century. There are two miraculous icons in the monastery, they say that one of them helps those who are unable to give birth to a child. Before entering the territory, you need to ring the bell at the entrance, then one of the sisters will follow you, guide you and tell you about the monastery. It also has a refectory where pilgrims are treated, and a shop where you can buy not only candles but also natural cosmetics and handicrafts made in the monastery.
13. Santa Maria in Punta Church in Old Budva
This tiny church in the Old Town dates back to the 9th century. It is the only surviving structure of a monastery that once existed here. It is located right in the fortress wall on the southwest side of Old Town, next to the Church of St. Sava. The church is built of bricks, and its roof is covered with old red tiles. Now the premises of the church are used for art, music, and other cultural events in the city.
14. Ruins of Roman-era Necropolis, Budva
Coming out from behind the walls of the old Budva towards the ballerina statue, it is worth looking straight ahead towards the Avala hotel. Between the stairs and the building on the left, you can see the remains of walls and a kind of stone chapel placed on a square pedestal in the shape of stairs. These are the ruins of an ancient Roman cemetery integrated into the body of a modern hotel complex, probably the oldest architectural monument of Budva, dating back to the first period of Roman rule.
15. Stanjevici Monastery in Budva
A nice, homely, and well-groomed corner away from the hustle and bustle of the people. This small monastery is located on the coast of Becici. You can walk around the area and admire the views. It’s a must-visit for a relaxing afternoon.
Budva Stanjevici Monastery – 15 Best things to do in Budva, Montenegro
In conclusion, Budva is a treasure trove of experiences for visitors to Montenegro’s stunning coastline. With its rich history, vibrant nightlife, and breathtaking natural beauty, there’s something for everyone in this charming coastal town. Whether you’re a history buff, beach lover, or adventure seeker, you’ll find plenty of unforgettable experiences awaiting you in Budva.
And that’s the 15 best things to do in Budva, Montenegro that will make you appreciate what this country has for foreign tourists. Does any of this place catch your attention? Or have you been to Budva? If yes, share with us your thoughts!
Learn more about Temporary Residence Permits in Montenegro!
Montenegro Featured Tours and Activities
- Top Ten Tours and Experiences in 2023
- Where to go in Montenegro? 6 Day trips from Dubrovnik to Montenegro
- Travel guide to the Njegoš Mausoleum in Montenegro
- Travel guide to Tara River Canyon in Montenegro
- 10 Must see places to go hiking in Montenegro
- Where to go camping in Montenegro?
- Where to go skiing in Montenegro?
- 15 Best things to do in Budva, Montenegro
- Travel guide to Budva Old Town in Montenegro
- 5 Best things to do in Becici, Montenegro
- 10 Best things to do in Petrovac, Montenegro
- 8 Best things to do in Lustica Bay, Montenegro
- Lustica Peninsula travel guide: Best beaches on Luštica Peninsula, Montenegro
Montenegro General Knowledge Guides
- Discover the Hidden Gem: Where is Montenegro? Your Guide to the Jewel of the Balkans in 2023
- Stay Connected in Montenegro: Your Guide to Tourist SIM Cards in 2023
- Getting Around Made Easy: Your Guide to Taxis in Montenegro for Beginners in 2023
- Montenegro border webcams – live traffic at the Montenegrin border checkpoints
- Guide to weather in Montenegro and things to consider
- Guide to Montenegro for Beginners
- Airport transportation in Montenegro – going to or from Montenegro Airports
- Airline directory in Montenegro (Airlines with offices in Montenegro)
- How to get married in Montenegro
- Is Montenegro Safe?
- Best Internet Providers in Montenegro
- Montenegro Visa Guide
Montenegro Car Rental Guides
- 5 Best Montenegro Tours in Kotor
- Where to eat in Kotor, Montenegro near the Cruise Port?
- Travel guide to Kotor Old Town in Montenegro
- Guide to our lady of the rocks in Perast, Montenegro
- 9 Best things to do in Perast, Montenegro
- 6 Best things to do in Risan, Montenegro
- 6 Best things to do in Kolasin, Montenegro During Winter
- 8 Best things to do in Kolasin, Montenegro during summer
- 9 Best things to to in Danilovgrad, Montenegro
- Discover the Hidden Gems of Podgorica, Montenegro: The Ottoman Empire’s Legacy, Scenic Rivers, and More
Other Coastal Guides
North Montenegro Guides
- 5 Best things to do in Bijelo Polje, Montenegro
- 5 Best things to do in Pljevlja, Monatenegro
- Things to do in Zabljak during summer
- 15 Best things to do in Niksic, Montenegro
- 6 Best things to do in Plav, Montenegro
- 15 Best things to do in Cetinje, Montenegro
- 5 Best things to do in Rozaje, Montenegro
- Best things to do in Andrijevica, Montenegro
- 9 Best things to do in Berane, Montenegro
- Best things to do in Plužine, Montenegro
Wednesday, March 29
Tours in Montenegro: Uncover the Adriatic’s Best-Kept Secret
Discover Montenegro’s tranquil beaches, medieval cities, rugged landscapes, and vibrant culture on our expertly curated tours. Book now to explore the Adriatic’s hidden gem!
Monday, April 10
Car Rental in Montenegro: Find the Best Deals and Explore at Your Own Pace
Discover the best Montenegro car rental options and secure the best deals for your journey. Rent a car in Podgorica, find cheap car rentals, and explore Montenegro’s beauty with ease.
Friday, April 22
Relocation Services In Montenegro
We offer all the services you need to relocate to Montenegro. House purchase. Montenegro Temporary Residency. Montenegro Company Formation. Car rental in Montenegro. Property Management in Montenegro. Real estate in Montenegro. Tours in Montenegro. Montenegro lawyers and accountants.