- Albania (Capital city: Tirana)
- Bosnia and Herzegovina (Capital city: Sarajevo)
- Bulgaria (Capital city: Sofia)
- Croatia (Capital city: Zagreb)
- Kosovo (Capital city: Pristina)
- Montenegro (Capital city: Podgorica)
- North Macedonia (Capital city: Skopje)
- Romania (Capital city: Bucharest)
- Serbia (Capital city: Belgrade)
- Slovenia (Capital city: Lljubliana)
Some definitions also include Greece and the European part of Turkey in the list of Balkan countries, as they share geographical and historical connections with the region. These countries have been influenced by various empires and civilizations throughout history, including the Roman, Byzantine, and Ottoman Empires.
In recent years, the Balkan countries have become increasingly popular travel destinations, attracting visitors with their unique blend of historical sites, vibrant cities, and breathtaking natural beauty. From the stunning Adriatic Coast to the mountainous terrain to the picturesque old towns and bustling capital cities, the Balkan countries offer a wealth of experiences for travelers seeking to explore this fascinating region.