Guide to using Montenegro taxi for beginners: Taxi directory & apps
Don’t let taxis in Montenegro overwhelm you! Our expert guide for 2023 provides everything beginners need to know, from taxi fares to safety tips.
Whether you are new to Montenegro, here for vacation or to live in Montenegro long term as a digital nomad, this article will make sure you can get to where you need to be! Here’s a guide to using Montenegro Taxi for Beginners. We will be writing taxi numbers and applications you should save on your phone for your travels here. It is important to note that having an internet connection in Montenegro is vital to use taxis conveniently.
Learn more about Residency in Montenegro!
Are you looking for the best destinations for digital nomads in Montenegro? Then read this article – Discover the Best Places for Digital Nomads in Montenegro
If you are interested in longer-term solutions to relocating to Montenegro, visit the following pages:
What are the best taxi companies in Montenegro?
- Red Taxi – Tivat and Kotor
- Djir Taxi – Tivat and Kotor
- MB Taxi – Tivat
- Taxi Travel in Montenegro – Podgorica
- Royal Taxi – Podgorica
- Happy Taxi – Budva
- Maestro Taxi – Herceg Novi
What taxi apps are there in Montenegro?
- Go Montenegro – Airport and Hotel Transfers
- TeslaGo App – Book Tesla taxis in Podgorica
- Yes Taxi Montenegro – Taxi booking and live tracking
Private Transfer Taxis in Montenegro
Private transfer taxis are always the most convenient option for planned journeys, to/from the airport, from one hotel to another, or even for a private tour around the sights of Montenegro! With that in mind, before you move on to our list of taxi companies in Montenegro and how to use them, have a look at the private transfer taxi services available below.
Unlike power countries in Europe, public transportation in Montenegro is not yet one of the best. There are no trains connecting cities, but there are buses. However, if you don’t feel comfortable riding public transport or in case they have stopped like during the pandemic, one way to travel all around Montenegro is by Taxi. Read our Taxi Guide for Montenegro.
Red Taxi is the best taxi in Montenegro; it’s highly recommended by locals and ex-pats alike. Taxis are available 24/7. Booking ahead through their website or chats are efficient.
Calls: 19714; 19740; +382 069 034 892; +382 067 319 714
SMS: +382 069 0 19714; +632 068 0 19714
Viber: +382 068 0 19714
SMS / Viber / Whatsapp: +382 67 248 588; +382 67 019 719
SMS / Viber / WhatsApp: +382 67 254 800; +382 67 019 729
Another company that is recommended by locals and expats is Djir Taxi. They are based in Kotor and Tivat. Services are available 24/7.
SMS / Viber: +382 67 019 737
SMS / Viber: +382 67 019 777
MB Taxi Tivat
For those who are on Tivat, you can ride with MB Taxi. If you are arriving at Tivat Airport and want to travel to other places in the country, they are reliable.
SMS: +382 32 540 126; +382 68 800 910
Viber: +382 68 800 910
Taxi Travel in Montenegro
It’s a taxi company that was established in 2003. Vehicles are usually Volkswagen and Mercedes, and they also have vans. They are based in Podgorica.
Call / SMS / Viber / WhatsApp: +38269 949 197
The taxi in Podgorica Airport is Royal Taxi. You can book them ahead so that you have no problems when you arrive in the country. They already have fixed prices; you can check them and compare them with other companies.
SMS: +382 67 019 702
In case you are in Budva, then Happy Taxi is one of the Taxi companies operating there.
SMS / Viber: +382 68 590 222; +382 69 019 515
Maestro Taxi is a taxi company that mainly operates in Herceg Novi, the part that shares a border with Croatia.
SMS / Viber: +382 67 019 530; +382 68 019 530; +382 68 019 530
Book Montenegro taxis through applications or websites
Go Montenegro offers Airport and Hotel Transfers. They have available vehicles for big groups, so if you are more than 4, you can book your transportation here. There are also prices available before you book, so you won’t have a problem with being tricked.
Calls: +382 69 737 787
If you want to experience riding Tesla electric Cars, then book a ride with Tesla Club. Their application can be downloaded in App Store or Google Play. They are based in Podgorica. Payment can be made through cash or card.
Calls: +382 69 057 073
Yes Taxi Montenegro
Yes, Taxi can be downloaded in App Store or Google Play. It’s a bit like Uber or Lyft where you can book taxis online. You can see their movement in real-time. You will also see a calculation of how much you will be paying.
Applications that will help you in riding Montenegro taxis
Most taxi operators and drivers have Viber. Viber is an application where you can call or text other Viber users for free. There’s no need to buy a local sim card, just mobile data or Wi-Fi. You can communicate with them through this application. Most locals also use this to contact and in case you don’t know what to say. Here’s an example:
Dober Dan, Aerodrom Tivat – departure. (Good day or good afternoon, Tivat Airport – departure)
Then, the taxi driver or company will tell you their taxi number and how many minutes you will wait.
Just like Viber, WhatsApp is also a messaging and calling application that can be installed in your phone. You can send taxi operators or drivers a message anytime when you have internet. Though most taxi operators have Viber, some have also started to use WhatsApp.
Montenegro is not an English speaking country. Though there are many Expats and some locals are studying English, many of them are not fluent. I suggest downloading a Google Translate App, especially the languages Serbian and Croatian (no Montenegrin available), to help you converse with your driver.
Google Maps or any similar Map Application
We are not experts on the roads in another country, so to be safe and to know that we are not cheated on, you can use Google Maps to track if you are going the right way. There are quite many honest drivers in Montenegro, especially those under taxi companies, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Here are the usual Taxi Rates
Montenegro Taxi Tips for Beginners
- Avoid getting taxis at the airport, bus, or train terminals; they are said to charge 2x or 3x the original rate
- Be careful with unregistered Taxis; most taxis have big numbers on their car and “TX” on their licence plate.
- You can call these companies or book taxis ahead, you can tell them your flight details, and they will wait for you at the airport
- Locals and Expats in Montenegro highly recommend communicating with reliable taxi companies; you can use Viber or WhatsApp
- Mention your name on the conversation (especially if not using an App); another person might ride what you have booked
- There are taxi meters that will provide how much you will pay; you should not pay more than €1 per kilometer
- Ask for a receipt
- In case your journey is long, then you and the taxi driver can agree with the price ahead
- Take note of the Taxi ID Number or their company number – it’s big and starts with 19; this is in case you have problems like you left your passport or overcharged
- If a taxi driver is harassing you or overcharging you, you can call the police. The police number is 122. Submit a picture of the driver’s taxi number and the plate number.
That’s our guide to Using Montenegro Taxi for Beginners. I hope this Montenegro Taxi Directory will help you as you travel in the country, especially if you decide to become a temporary residence permit in Montenegro! May you have fun and memorable adventures!
Montenegro Featured Tours and Activities
- Top Ten Tours and Experiences in 2023
- Where to go in Montenegro? 6 Day trips from Dubrovnik to Montenegro
- Travel guide to the Njegoš Mausoleum in Montenegro
- Travel guide to Tara River Canyon in Montenegro
- 10 Must see places to go hiking in Montenegro
- Where to go camping in Montenegro?
- Where to go skiing in Montenegro?
- 15 Best things to do in Budva, Montenegro
- Travel guide to Budva Old Town in Montenegro
- 5 Best things to do in Becici, Montenegro
- 10 Best things to do in Petrovac, Montenegro
- 8 Best things to do in Lustica Bay, Montenegro
- Lustica Peninsula travel guide: Best beaches on Luštica Peninsula, Montenegro
Montenegro General Knowledge Guides
- Discover the Hidden Gem: Where is Montenegro? Your Guide to the Jewel of the Balkans in 2023
- Stay Connected in Montenegro: Your Guide to Tourist SIM Cards in 2023
- Getting Around Made Easy: Your Guide to Taxis in Montenegro for Beginners in 2023
- Montenegro border webcams – live traffic at the Montenegrin border checkpoints
- Guide to weather in Montenegro and things to consider
- Guide to Montenegro for Beginners
- Airport transportation in Montenegro – going to or from Montenegro Airports
- Airline directory in Montenegro (Airlines with offices in Montenegro)
- How to get married in Montenegro
- Is Montenegro Safe?
- Best Internet Providers in Montenegro
- Montenegro Visa Guide
Montenegro Car Rental Guides
- 5 Best Montenegro Tours in Kotor
- Where to eat in Kotor, Montenegro near the Cruise Port?
- Travel guide to Kotor Old Town in Montenegro
- Guide to our lady of the rocks in Perast, Montenegro
- 9 Best things to do in Perast, Montenegro
- 6 Best things to do in Risan, Montenegro
- 6 Best things to do in Kolasin, Montenegro During Winter
- 8 Best things to do in Kolasin, Montenegro during summer
- 9 Best things to to in Danilovgrad, Montenegro
- Discover the Hidden Gems of Podgorica, Montenegro: The Ottoman Empire’s Legacy, Scenic Rivers, and More
Other Coastal Guides
North Montenegro Guides
- 5 Best things to do in Bijelo Polje, Montenegro
- 5 Best things to do in Pljevlja, Monatenegro
- Things to do in Zabljak during summer
- 15 Best things to do in Niksic, Montenegro
- 6 Best things to do in Plav, Montenegro
- 15 Best things to do in Cetinje, Montenegro
- 5 Best things to do in Rozaje, Montenegro
- Best things to do in Andrijevica, Montenegro
- 9 Best things to do in Berane, Montenegro
- Best things to do in Plužine, Montenegro
Wednesday, March 29
Tours in Montenegro: Uncover the Adriatic’s Best-Kept Secret
Discover Montenegro’s tranquil beaches, medieval cities, rugged landscapes, and vibrant culture on our expertly curated tours. Book now to explore the Adriatic’s hidden gem!
Monday, April 10
Car Rental in Montenegro: Find the Best Deals and Explore at Your Own Pace
Discover the best Montenegro car rental options and secure the best deals for your journey. Rent a car in Podgorica, find cheap car rentals, and explore Montenegro’s beauty with ease.
Friday, April 22
Relocation Services In Montenegro
We offer all the services you need to relocate to Montenegro. House purchase. Montenegro Temporary Residency. Montenegro Company Formation. Car rental in Montenegro. Property Management in Montenegro. Real estate in Montenegro. Tours in Montenegro. Montenegro lawyers and accountants.