Travel guide to Kotor Old Town in Montenegro
If you are interested in longer-term solutions to relocating to Montenegro, visit the following pages:
The best things to do in Kotor, Montenegro
A sketch of the town of Kotor
The story of the development of Kotor
In the prehistoric and Kotor’s original matrix, skilled creators defined and built a solid and permanent city form. It was developing harmoniously through antiquity and the Middle Ages until today. Its geographical position was ideal for the formation of a prehistoric settlement. From its point could be seen land and sea, there was a possibility to build a large and safe harbor and sanctuary atop a mountain overlooking the town. Sharp rocks protected the port not only from storms but also from various invaders. The immediate surroundings included terrains suitable for agriculture and animal husbandry.
Due to its geographical position and, at that time, enormous economic capacity, Kotor was always the target of various invaders.
In addition to most of the Montenegrin coast, a terrible earthquake destroyed Kotor’s old town in 1979. The devastated country’s reconstruction lasted for a full ten years, and restorers’ teams paid special attention to reconstructing the ancient cities.
Kotor – The town that lives on
A step away from the main gate, the old town market is open every morning. People sell vegetables, fresh fish, olive oil, cheese, and more. Here you can hear the specific coastal tone and slang of the locals. The scene of this place is entirely different from the rest of the atmosphere. Therefore, according to some opinions, it should be removed. We hope that this idea will evaporate and that this town will keep its spirit.
Within the walls, you have a wide selection of restaurants, pubs, cafes. Each of them reflects the atmosphere of the street or square on which it is located. The squares have the names of the facilities or activities that took place within them. The square of salad, of flour, of milk, of weapon, of the cathedral, each of them served its purpose. You can enjoy music, theater, and film on the ramparts’ outdoor stage during the summer. This unique stage has mountain rocks as a background. It is bordered by the river Škurda, and on the third side, you can see the tops of the city churches. it’s hard to imagine a better place to spend a summer evening.
Walk to the fortress above the city. The view is priceless.
Cinema, small museums, and boutiques are bustling with life in summer. And, of course, cats. Cats are everywhere. They got their museum too.
Traffic has never been in the minds of the creators of this town. Only pedestrians and special tricycles that take away waste or supply shops pass through the streets.
In winter, however, everything is different. The town is most of the day in the shade of the surrounding mountains. It happens that rain in streams flows through the streets. The south wind, called “Jugo,” is mentioned by the locals as if they talked about a person. The colors of Kotor’s old town, the mountains above it, the winter sea, and the cloudy sky merge into one color, distinctly gray. Only pieces of pink stones from the sidewalk stand out from the scene. It sounds a bit sinister, but that gives the specificity it has.
People from Boka are famous for their outdoor parties, city festivals, and carnival. These events have a long tradition, and even today, they are expected as a holiday.
Countless steps echoed across the stone sidewalks of Kotor over the centuries. The beautiful streets reflect light like mirrors. Their pastel colors and smoothness encourage you to forget about fatigue, walk long and slowly, and not miss a single detail.
Come and explore the wonders of Kotor for yourself and find out why some of the best things to see and do in Montenegro are right here!
Montenegro Featured Tours and Activities
- Top Ten Tours and Experiences in 2023
- Where to go in Montenegro? 6 Day trips from Dubrovnik to Montenegro
- Travel guide to the Njegoš Mausoleum in Montenegro
- Travel guide to Tara River Canyon in Montenegro
- 10 Must see places to go hiking in Montenegro
- Where to go camping in Montenegro?
- Where to go skiing in Montenegro?
- 15 Best things to do in Budva, Montenegro
- Travel guide to Budva Old Town in Montenegro
- 5 Best things to do in Becici, Montenegro
- 10 Best things to do in Petrovac, Montenegro
- 8 Best things to do in Lustica Bay, Montenegro
- Lustica Peninsula travel guide: Best beaches on Luštica Peninsula, Montenegro
Montenegro General Knowledge Guides
- Discover the Hidden Gem: Where is Montenegro? Your Guide to the Jewel of the Balkans in 2023
- Stay Connected in Montenegro: Your Guide to Tourist SIM Cards in 2023
- Getting Around Made Easy: Your Guide to Taxis in Montenegro for Beginners in 2023
- Montenegro border webcams – live traffic at the Montenegrin border checkpoints
- Guide to weather in Montenegro and things to consider
- Guide to Montenegro for Beginners
- Airport transportation in Montenegro – going to or from Montenegro Airports
- Airline directory in Montenegro (Airlines with offices in Montenegro)
- How to get married in Montenegro
- Is Montenegro Safe?
- Best Internet Providers in Montenegro
- Montenegro Visa Guide
Montenegro Car Rental Guides
- 5 Best Montenegro Tours in Kotor
- Where to eat in Kotor, Montenegro near the Cruise Port?
- Travel guide to Kotor Old Town in Montenegro
- Guide to our lady of the rocks in Perast, Montenegro
- 9 Best things to do in Perast, Montenegro
- 6 Best things to do in Risan, Montenegro
- 6 Best things to do in Kolasin, Montenegro During Winter
- 8 Best things to do in Kolasin, Montenegro during summer
- 9 Best things to to in Danilovgrad, Montenegro
- Discover the Hidden Gems of Podgorica, Montenegro: The Ottoman Empire’s Legacy, Scenic Rivers, and More
Other Coastal Guides
North Montenegro Guides
- 5 Best things to do in Bijelo Polje, Montenegro
- 5 Best things to do in Pljevlja, Monatenegro
- Things to do in Zabljak during summer
- 15 Best things to do in Niksic, Montenegro
- 6 Best things to do in Plav, Montenegro
- 15 Best things to do in Cetinje, Montenegro
- 5 Best things to do in Rozaje, Montenegro
- Best things to do in Andrijevica, Montenegro
- 9 Best things to do in Berane, Montenegro
- Best things to do in Plužine, Montenegro
Wednesday, March 29
Tours in Montenegro: Uncover the Adriatic’s Best-Kept Secret
Discover Montenegro’s tranquil beaches, medieval cities, rugged landscapes, and vibrant culture on our expertly curated tours. Book now to explore the Adriatic’s hidden gem!
Monday, April 10
Car Rental in Montenegro: Find the Best Deals and Explore at Your Own Pace
Discover the best Montenegro car rental options and secure the best deals for your journey. Rent a car in Podgorica, find cheap car rentals, and explore Montenegro’s beauty with ease.
Friday, April 22
Relocation Services In Montenegro
We offer all the services you need to relocate to Montenegro. House purchase. Montenegro Temporary Residency. Montenegro Company Formation. Car rental in Montenegro. Property Management in Montenegro. Real estate in Montenegro. Tours in Montenegro. Montenegro lawyers and accountants.