Best things to do in Plužine, Montenegro
Have you ever been to a town that has been relocated from one place to another? There are certainly not many of them in the world, and visiting Plužine will allow you to live that experience right here in Montenegro!
This unique town is located in the northwest of Montenegro, between the slopes of Durmitor and Maglić mountains, on the very edge of Piva Lake.
The present town of Plužine was built at the same time as the dam Mratinje itself – in the early 1970s. Two hundred and twenty meters high, this dam is one of the largest in Europe.
Find apartments and houses for rent in Montenegro here.
Learn more about living in Montenegro and temporary residency in Montenegro!
Are you looking for the best destinations for digital nomads in Montenegro? Then read this article – Discover the Best Places for Digital Nomads in Montenegro
If you are interested in longer-term solutions to relocating to Montenegro, visit the following pages:
- Emigrate to Montenegro: Residence Permit & Tax Residency Guide
- Relocation Services in Montenegro
- 10 Reasons You Should Register a Company in Montenegro in 2023
- Montenegro Residency by Company Formation (2023) – A Comprehensive Step-by-Step Guide
- Montenegro Company Formation & Residency Services – Fully Managed Solution
The new city was built before the water level began to rise and the dam closed, so the whole population of the villages to be submerged by the lake could be relocated. Almost all the buildings were mined and destroyed before the sinking, except for the 16th century Piva Monastery, which was, stone by stone, moved to a new location, in the same way as the temple of Abu Simbel in Egypt.
In addition to interesting facts related to the history of the city, exceptional natural beauty surrounds this settlement, and it is deservedly becoming more and more popular on the tourist map. If you ever find yourself in this unusual place, you will certainly not lack inspiration for exploration. However, we provide you with a couple of guidelines about the best things to do in Plužine, Montenegro.
1. Explore Piva Lake
Back in 1976, Piva Lake was created during the construction of the hydroelectric power-plant, by partitioning the canyon of the mountain Piva river. Along its entire length of 45 km, it stretches through beautiful forest landscapes and, depending on the weather conditions, takes on color from blue-green to turquoise. The depth of the lake varies from 70 to 120 m and even 180 m in certain places. The water is clean, fresh and full of fish, among which trout is the most popular. This lake is one of the largest reservoirs of drinking water in the region.
Swimming in Plužine, Montenegro
Whether you are on the town’s beach in Plužine, or in a camp hidden in an oak forest near the lake’s water, summer swimming in the Piva lake will refresh you and give you a pleasant feeling for the next hours.
Boat cruising in Plužine, Montenegro
Organized boat tours are perhaps the best way to experience all the beauty of the Piva lake canyon. This unusual lake gives the feeling of cruising on a strangely calm river and unforgettable views of pines growing out of bare stone. Tour offers of this kind usually include visits to the lake cave, an island with remains of the old town, the impressive dam, lunch, and tasting local drinks.
Canoeing, Kayaking and Stand up Paddling in Plužine, Montenegro
If you want an individual tour, the better solution is to rent a canoe or a stand-up paddle board and to actively indulge in the peace and beauty of this region.
2. Trekking over the Piva Region in Montenegro
Piva mountain region (Pivska Planina) was recently declared as a nature park. It certainly deserves such a title but words cannot describe the beauty of this area. Once you set off from Plužine, the road will take you through the stone tunnels above the lake, through the sunny-colored prairies and fairytale-like villages. It is best to go in search of “stećci”, mysterious cemeteries whose age is unknown and ave been scattered over these mountains for over a thousand years. They have been under UNESCO protection for a long time and represent a valuable world cultural heritage. Certainly, they are located in exceptional locations where a perfect view of the surroundings is guaranteed.
It is not enough just to drive through these areas. The landscapes you see through the car window will make your stop hundreds of times. Take your time to walk, pick mountain herbs, lie in the grass, or pose for new favorite photos. You must not miss the canyon of the river Sušica and the view of it from the village of Nedajno. For lovers of horseback riding, there are options for organizing tours through the Piva Nature Park.
3. Enjoy a tour of the Durmitor Ring
At the exit from the Piva region, a “gate” to the Durmitor National Park awaits you. A visit to this outlandish area reminds you of a trip to a distant planet. The slopes of Durmitor mountains enchant visitors with their shapes, silence, and wildlife. It is an ideal place for hiking and climbing, birdwatching, and resetting from urban everyday life. Get ready for possible encounters with wild goats, owls and golden eagles. Of course, it should be borne in mind that this mountain is characterized by raw nature and that it is necessary to have adequate equipment, and advised to get a guide if you wish to stray off the beaten path. Avoid it during bad weather.
4. Tour of the Piva Monastery
Until recently, despite its great cultural and historical value, the Piva Monastery attracted only the attention of believers, rare amateurs, and experts in old art. This structure has attracted the interest of the general public lately when, endangered by the construction of a hydroelectric power plant on the river Piva, it was moved high above the river’s spring – where it was built in the 16th century. Relocating the church and its frescoes was a difficult task that surpassed all known similar experiences in the world. Work on this project began in 1970 and lasted for more than a decade. Each stone was carefully numbered and returned to its authentic construction position. The most complex of all endeavours was the removal and preservation of the original frescoes, painted on the walls of the original building. These valuable works of art cover over a thousand square meters of walls inside the church. Piva monastery represents a treasure of Montenegrin history and culture and is worth visiting and researching.
5. Plan a rafting tour on Tara River in Montenegro
The most attractive part of the Tara River and its deep canyon is famous for rafting and starts from Brštanovica. It ends in Šćepan polje (27 km away from Plužine). In Plužine you will find all the necessary information, transfers, and contacts for this unforgettable adventure.
6. Rest and Eat at the welcoming guesthouses
Zvono is a concept: not only a cafe, but also a bar, a restaurant, and a warm place to sit and plan your walks with the help of the friendly and wholesome staff. Certainly an unexpected place in Pluzine, its warmful atmosphere and decoration will make you feel at home. Works even better with a nice glass of homemade medovina (local mead).
Ethno restaurant Sočica
If you are looking for traditional food, this is the place. The best ingredients and local cooks must be the secret of that place, which is serving family-style Montenegrin mountain dishes.
Northern Montenegro has a lot to offer for visitors, and this in any season of the year. Plužine and its surroundings are exceptional places to explore and to reconnect with nature. Our selection of the best things to do in Plužine will hopefully inspire you and give you a good idea of where to spend your next holiday.
Montenegro Featured Tours and Activities
- Top Ten Tours and Experiences in 2023
- Where to go in Montenegro? 6 Day trips from Dubrovnik to Montenegro
- Travel guide to the Njegoš Mausoleum in Montenegro
- Travel guide to Tara River Canyon in Montenegro
- 10 Must see places to go hiking in Montenegro
- Where to go camping in Montenegro?
- Where to go skiing in Montenegro?
- 15 Best things to do in Budva, Montenegro
- Travel guide to Budva Old Town in Montenegro
- 5 Best things to do in Becici, Montenegro
- 10 Best things to do in Petrovac, Montenegro
- 8 Best things to do in Lustica Bay, Montenegro
- Lustica Peninsula travel guide: Best beaches on Luštica Peninsula, Montenegro
Montenegro General Knowledge Guides
- Discover the Hidden Gem: Where is Montenegro? Your Guide to the Jewel of the Balkans in 2023
- Stay Connected in Montenegro: Your Guide to Tourist SIM Cards in 2023
- Getting Around Made Easy: Your Guide to Taxis in Montenegro for Beginners in 2023
- Montenegro border webcams – live traffic at the Montenegrin border checkpoints
- Guide to weather in Montenegro and things to consider
- Guide to Montenegro for Beginners
- Airport transportation in Montenegro – going to or from Montenegro Airports
- Airline directory in Montenegro (Airlines with offices in Montenegro)
- How to get married in Montenegro
- Is Montenegro Safe?
- Best Internet Providers in Montenegro
- Montenegro Visa Guide
Montenegro Car Rental Guides
- 5 Best Montenegro Tours in Kotor
- Where to eat in Kotor, Montenegro near the Cruise Port?
- Travel guide to Kotor Old Town in Montenegro
- Guide to our lady of the rocks in Perast, Montenegro
- 9 Best things to do in Perast, Montenegro
- 6 Best things to do in Risan, Montenegro
- 6 Best things to do in Kolasin, Montenegro During Winter
- 8 Best things to do in Kolasin, Montenegro during summer
- 9 Best things to to in Danilovgrad, Montenegro
- Discover the Hidden Gems of Podgorica, Montenegro: The Ottoman Empire’s Legacy, Scenic Rivers, and More
Other Coastal Guides
North Montenegro Guides
- 5 Best things to do in Bijelo Polje, Montenegro
- 5 Best things to do in Pljevlja, Monatenegro
- Things to do in Zabljak during summer
- 15 Best things to do in Niksic, Montenegro
- 6 Best things to do in Plav, Montenegro
- 15 Best things to do in Cetinje, Montenegro
- 5 Best things to do in Rozaje, Montenegro
- Best things to do in Andrijevica, Montenegro
- 9 Best things to do in Berane, Montenegro
- Best things to do in Plužine, Montenegro
Wednesday, March 29
Tours in Montenegro: Uncover the Adriatic’s Best-Kept Secret
Discover Montenegro’s tranquil beaches, medieval cities, rugged landscapes, and vibrant culture on our expertly curated tours. Book now to explore the Adriatic’s hidden gem!
Monday, April 10
Car Rental in Montenegro: Find the Best Deals and Explore at Your Own Pace
Discover the best Montenegro car rental options and secure the best deals for your journey. Rent a car in Podgorica, find cheap car rentals, and explore Montenegro’s beauty with ease.
Friday, April 22
Relocation Services In Montenegro
We offer all the services you need to relocate to Montenegro. House purchase. Montenegro Temporary Residency. Montenegro Company Formation. Car rental in Montenegro. Property Management in Montenegro. Real estate in Montenegro. Tours in Montenegro. Montenegro lawyers and accountants.