Discover the Best Tours in Montenegro 2023
Find the best tours for your visit to Montenegro!
Are you planning Montenegro tours for your dream vacation for 2023 and seeking a unique destination that combines breathtaking natural landscapes, rich cultural experiences, and unforgettable adventures? Look no further! Montenegro, nestled along the Adriatic Sea in southeastern Europe, is your ideal holiday haven. It’s time to explore this hidden gem packed with impressive scenery, historical cities, and adrenaline-pumping activities. Follow me as we embark on an incredible journey to discover the best tours in Montenegro 2023!
The Best Tours in Montenegro in 2023
Best Tours in Montenegro
Montenegro is truly an up-and-coming tourist hotspot with countless options for exploration. Below I’ve compiled a list of what I consider the best tours available at this fascinating destination:
- Kotor Bay & Budva: Delve into the historic old town of Kotor, surrounded by majestic fortifications and boasting a UNESCO-listed heritage site before heading off to the vibrant coastal city of Budva.
- Durmitor National Park: Immerse yourself in dazzling alpine vistas as you trek through verdant forests or paddle across serene lakes within this breathtaking national park.
- Biogradska Gora National Park: Venture into one of Europe’s last ancient forests featuring pristine lakes and diverse wildlife—a true paradise for nature aficionados.
- Must See Top Destinations Tour: Get ready for a whirlwind tour highlighting all the must-see attractions from Podgorica to Sveti Stefan—you won’t want to miss it!
- Multiday Itineraries: Plan extended Montenegro tourist expeditions covering everything from hiking routes and cultural immersion to leisurely beach escapes.
In addition to these top-ranking Montenegro vacation packages, there are several other specialized offerings tailored around specific interests such as culture & scenery day tours, hiking excursions, rafting adventures, off-road safari trips, and boat tours. Be sure to read on for detailed information and insider tips on tackling these best tours in Montenegro as you plan your unforgettable 2023 getaway.
Discover the Best Tours in Montenegro 2023
Tours in Kotor Bay and Budva
Kotor Bay and Budva are among the most picturesque destinations in the Adriatic region, which is why they’re included in many of the best tours in Montenegro. These coastal towns boast breathtaking landscapes, warm turquoise waters, and rich cultural history.
The Old Towns – A Historical Treasure Trove
During your time exploring Kotor Bay and Budva, you’ll find that their old towns are key attractions on any Montenegro tour package. Both historic centers have been designated as UNESCO World Heritage sites due to their well-preserved medieval architecture and significance during different historical periods.
- In Kotor, make sure to visit:
- St. Tryphon Cathedral: This Romanesque cathedral was first built in the 12th century and has since undergone several restorations.
- Maritime Museum of Montenegro: Housed inside a Baroque palace, this museum offers insight into Kotor’s maritime past.
- When touring Budva, don’t forget to check out:
- Citadele Fortress: Used initially for defense purposes, this fortification now hosts a popular open-air theatre during the summer months.
- Church of St. Ivan: With its Venetian-Gothic bell tower, this church still holds daily services even though it dates back to the 17th century.
Exploring Coastal Beauty on Boat Tours
Blessed with captivating sceneries along its spectacular coastline, boat tours are an essential part of Montenegro tourist attractions one should not miss while exploring bay of Kotor, Bay and Budva. Numerous options allow visitors to delve into mesmerizing coves, secluded beaches with crystal-clear waters, or ancient coastal monasteries.
Some notable highlights you may encounter on these tours include:
- Our Lady of the Rocks (Gospa od Škrpjela): This tiny artificial island is home to a 17th-century church regarded as one of Montenegro’s most sacred sites.
- Blue Cave (Plava Špilja): A marvel of natural beauty, the cave’s stunning blue waters and ethereal atmosphere make it a favorite among tourists exploring Montenegro’s coast.
- Sveti Stefan: Close to Budva lies this picturesque islet – once an independent fortified village, now an opulent hotel complex accessible only by guests.
Coastal Beaches & Nightlife in Montenegro
Your itinerary should include time dedicated to enjoying Kotor Bay and Budva’s magnificent beaches or delving into their bustling nightlife scene during your Montenegro vacations. With crystal-clear waters ideal for swimming, snorkeling or just relaxing in the sun, these coastal spots contribute significantly to creating memorable Montenegro vacation packages. Don’t miss out on the lively beach bars and nightclubs in Budva, which create an exciting social atmosphere that you’ll never forget.
A visit to Kotor Bay and Budva showcases some of the best of Montenegro in terms of culture, history, natural landscapes, and vibrant coastal life. By immersing yourself in these towns’ unique heritage while reveling in their breathtaking and beautiful scenery alone, you will no doubt return from your trip with memories that last a lifetime.
Durmitor National Park
Nestled in the majestic Dinaric Alps, Durmitor National Park is one of the premier destinations for nature lovers visiting Montenegro. With its breathtaking landscapes, diverse plant and animal species, and exciting outdoor activities, a tour of this natural gem is an experience you will never forget. In this section, I’ll provide an overview of the park’s attractions and some of the best tours available to help you discover all that Durmitor National Park has to offer.
Top Attractions within Durmitor National Park
- Tara River Canyon: As Europe’s deepest gorge, Tara River Canyon should not be missed during your visit to Durmitor. Its emerald green waters surrounded by steep cliffs create dramatic scenes that leave no visitor unimpressed.
- Black Lake: Known locally as Crno Jezero, Black Lake features evergreen forests encompassing crystal-clear turquoise waters. It provides excellent opportunities for hiking and taking photographs along various viewpoints.
- Bobotov Kuk: Standing at 2523 meters above sea level, Bobotov Kuk is the highest peak in Montenegro and offers challenging mountain climbing experiences alongside rewarding panoramic views.
Guided Tours in Durmitor National Park
- Hiking Tours: There are numerous well-marked hiking trails throughout the park, catering to adventurers of all skill levels. Guided Montenegro tours allow visitors to explore enticing landscapes under knowledgeable supervision while learning about flora and fauna along their route.
- Rafting Adventures: Brace yourself for an adrenaline-pumping ride down Tara River on a rafting tour. Several Montenegro tourist attractions companies offer guided whitewater excursions suitable even for beginners seeking thrills amid stunning scenery.
- Jeep Safaris: A 4×4 off-road safari provides an exhilarating way to traverse rugged terrain whilst witnessing spectacular views only accessible by these versatile vehicles. This type of tour typically includes visits to remote mountain villages and encounters with local Montenegrin culture.
Whether you are an avid hiker, a fan of thrilling water sports, or simply someone looking for breathtaking natural beauty, Durmitor National Park is undoubtedly one of the must-visit destinations when embarking on the best tours in Montenegro. From picturesque Black Lake to Europe’s deepest canyon – Tara River Gorge – the sheer variety of Montenegro things to do at this magnificent park makes it an essential addition to any travel itinerary. So grab your hiking boots or prepare for some river rafting, and get ready to be captivated by the alluring landscapes of Durmitor National Park.
Biogradska Gora National Park
The beauty of Montenegro is diverse and awe-inspiring, and one location that showcases the country’s exceptional natural features is Biogradska Gora National Park. Nestled in the heart of Montenegro’s Bjelasica Mountain Range, this verdant paradise boasts lush forests, serene lakes, rocky mountains and spectacular mountainous landscapes. Let us explore some of the best tours available in this captivating park to make your Montenegro vacation unforgettable.
Discover Majestic Nature with Guided Tours
To immerse yourself in the pristine environment at Biogradska Gora National Park, consider joining a guided tour within its boundaries. The knowledgeable guides can ensure you see everything from old-growth forests to crystal-clear glacial lakes.
Some popular tours in Biogradska Gora include:
- Birdwatching excursions: Capture glimpses of rare bird species inhabiting this unique ecosystem.
- Botanical walks: Learn about Montenegro’s native plant life as you walk through meadows adorned with colorful wildflowers.
- Wildlife safaris: Get an up-close look at indigenous animals such as chamois and Eurasian brown bears while accompanied by expert trackers.
Walking & Hiking Routes in Montenegro
For those seeking a more active experience during their Montenegro trip, Biogradska Gora offers numerous walking and hiking trails for varying skill levels. Embark on anything from leisurely strolls around picturesque Lake Biograd to challenging treks up some of the surrounding peaks.
A couple favorite hikes in the park are:
- Bendovac viewpoint hike: A moderate climb rewards hikers with panoramic vistas over Lake Biograd below and distant mountains.
- Crna Glava summit hike: Ambitious adventurers can tackle this strenuous ascent towards Crna Glava peak for a truly unforgettable vantage point.
Winter Sports & Snow Adventures
During winter months, visitors looking to indulge in snow sports will find Biogradska Gora an ideal destination. The park offers a range of winter activities such as snowshoeing and cross-country skiing through dazzling snow-covered landscapes.
Beyond breathtaking nature, Biogradska Gora boasts rich cultural heritage that can be explored on Montenegro tours focused on history and tradition. Visit the centuries-old monasteries tucked away in the forests or interact with local mountain communities to learn about their traditional way of life.
In summary, a visit to Biogradska Gora National Park will unveil not only Montenegro’s exceptional natural beauty but also its fascinating culture and traditions. Whether it’s adventurous hikes, ample opportunities for wildlife sightings, immersive guided tours or thrilling winter sports, this outstanding national park has something to offer everyone during their Montenegró vacation.
Must See Top Destinations in Montenegro
Montenegro is a hidden gem in the Balkans, offering diverse landscapes and rich cultural heritage. From enchanting coastal towns to stunning national parks, there’s an array of must-see destinations for all travelers. Here are some of the top attractions that should make your list when exploring this captivating country:
- Kotor: A UNESCO World Heritage Site, Kotor is well-known for its charming Old Town with picturesque cobblestone streets, historic architecture, and impressive defensive walls. As one of Montenegro’s most visited destinations, it offers visitors a mix of culture and history amidst the remarkable natural beauty of Kotor Bay.
- Budva: Often considered the tourism capital of Montenegro, Budva attracts countless visitors each year with its vibrant nightlife scene and pristine beaches. Stroll the narrow streets of Budva Old Town or venture to nearby Sveti Stefan – a 15th-century island village turned exclusive resort.
- Perast: Located along the coast in Kotor Bay, Perast is a quaint town brimming with Baroque architecture and jaw-dropping sea views. Be sure to visit Our Lady of The Rocks – a man-made island with a fascinating history and stunning church.
- Cetinje: Embrace Montenegrin history by visiting Cetinje, the country’s royal capital until 1918. Discover important cultural landmarks such as Cetinje Monastery or explore Lovćen National Park for panoramic vistas from Mount Lovćen.
- Lake Skadar: A nature lover’s paradise, Lake Skadar is one of Europe’s largest freshwater lakes nestled between Montenegro and Albania. Discover birdlife galore, sleepy fishing villages dotting the shores, or simply enjoy leisurely boat rides amidst breathtaking scenery.
- Durmitor National Park: With towering peaks reaching over 2,500 meters, Durmitor National Park is an idyllic destination for outdoor enthusiasts. Hike the well-traveled trails to soak up stunning views or engage in adrenaline-pumping activities like rafting in Tara Canyon.
- Biogradska Gora National Park: Home to one of three remaining virgin forests in Europe, Biogradska Gora is teeming with wildlife and unparalleled natural landscapes. Take a relaxing walk around the glacial Biogradsko Lake or hike through the lush vegetation to uncover hidden gems.
- Ulcinj: A coastal town boasting sandy beaches and historical significance, Ulcinj offers both relaxation and exploration opportunities. Discover Ada Bojana – an island known for its sandy shores and kite-surfing community or marvel at archaeological sites such as Stari Grad (Old Town) of Ulcinj.
By incorporating these must-see top destinations into your Montenegro itinerary, you’ll experience some of the best tour highlights this captivating country has to offer. From vibrant coastal towns packed with Montenegró tourist attractions to the tranquil beauty of national parks, there’s something unforgettable for every traveler in Montenegro.
Multiday Itineraries of Montenegro Tours
A country as diverse and filled with breathtaking landscapes as Montenegro merits exploration at a leisurely pace. That’s why planning a multi-day itinerary for your Montenegro vacation is an excellent way to ensure you make the most out of this enchanting destination. While individual preferences will influence your choice of stops and activities, certain locations stand out for their unique allure. Below are some suggested itineraries that showcase the best tours in Montenegro, letting you experience its rich culture, stunning scenery, and incredible adventures.
Coastal Montenegro Itinerary
Spanning several days, this itinerary allows you to enjoy the sun-soaked beauty of Montenegro’s coast. Start in the bay of Kotor and soak up the history before continuing on to one or more of these splendid coastal destinations with abundant Montenegro tourist attractions:
- Perast: A gorgeous old town with exceptional Baroque architecture.
- Budva: The Riviera’s epicenter offers historical sites mixed with a lively nightlife.
- Sveti Stefan: An iconic island resort great for relaxation and luxury.
- Petrovac: A picturesque bay area perfect for swimming and beachside lounging.
Northern Adventure Itinerary
For adventurers looking to explore less-traveled paths, consider venturing northward into the wild terrain of Durmitor National Park or Biogradska Gora National Park. Prepare yourself for outings such as hiking through bold canyons, rafting thrilling rapids, or exploring serene forests:
- Zabljak: Discover pine-covered mountains amid pure alpine air.
- Tara River Canyon: Experience Europe’s deepest canyon by zip line or raft.
- Kolasin: Enjoy fresh mountain air while exploring dense beech forests.
Cultural Exploration Itinerary
Immerse yourself in local history by touring significant cultural landmarks – ancient monasteries nestled among idyllic landscapes or relics of Montenegro’s Ottoman past. These historic sites offer unforgettable experiences:
- Ostrog Monastery: Marvel at a spiritual haven carved into vertical cliffs.
- Cetinje: Visit the historic Royal Capital City and its enlightening museums.
- Ulcinj: Explore southern Montenegro’s cultural melting pot with remnants of Illyrian, Roman, and Ottoman rule.
- No matter which multi-day itinerary you choose for your Montenegro vacation packages, be sure to make time for local cuisine, wine tastings, and artisanal crafts that showcase Montenegro’s charming character. And remember – some of the best tours in Montenegro are waiting just off the beaten path; don’t hesitate to venture beyond these itineraries to discover your personal hidden gems.
Culture & Scenery Day Tours Around Montenegro
Montenegro is a treasure trove of remarkable historical sites, diverse landscapes, and enchanting culture. Embarking on a culture and scenery day tour will give you the perfect opportunity to experience the best this captivating country has to offer. Here are some top recommendations for culture and scenery day tours in Montenegro.
Old Town Kotor Walking Tour
Immerse yourself in the rich history and architectural marvels of this UNESCO World Heritage site. A guided walking tour through the ancient streets of Kotor’s Old Town introduces you to its intriguing past while visiting places like St Tryphon Cathedral, Maritime Museum, and town’s bustling piazzas. As part of your Montenegro vacation package or Montenegro tourist attractions list, an Old Town walking expedition is not to be missed.
The Royal Capital Cetinje & Mountain Skadar Overlook Day Tour
This fascinating journey takes you back in time by exploring the royal capital city, Cetinje – home to numerous museums, churches, and monasteries which reveal tales of early rulers and times. Next up is Lovćen National Park where you’ll witness panoramic views over the mountain peaks with glimpses of Skadar Lake in the distance – one of Montenegro’s most picturesque settings.
Sveti Stefan & Budva Riviera: Spectacular Coastal Views
Discover two famous landmarks along the stunning shoreline – glamourous Sveti Stefan island resort and charming coastal town Budva that blends modern opulence with history-rich medieval architecture. Appreciate panoramic ocean vistas from atop cliffs surrounding Sveti Stefan and stroll through lively streets in Budva where quaint cobblestone alleys coexist with contemporary dining establishments catering to various culinary desires – undoubtedly a must-have experience when planning your tours in Montenegro.
Ostrog Monastery Excursion
Undoubtedly among Montenegro things to do list is a spiritual journey to the awe-inspiring Ostrog Monastery, nestled high in the mountain rocks overlooking Bjelopavlići plain. Serving as a haven of spirituality for believers worldwide, this spectacular Serbian Orthodox sanctuary attracts thousands of pilgrims each year. The challenging hike up to the monastery rewards you with stunning views combined with profound tranquility.
Incorporate these incredible culture and scenery day tours into your Montenegro vacation plans, as they will undoubtedly enhance your appreciation for the country’s unique beauty and fascinating history. Embrace Montenegro’s diverse offerings during your touring Montenegro experiences that promise an unforgettable journey through its captivating landscapes and characterful towns.
Hiking Tours Around Montenegro
Montenegro’s diverse terrain provides a haven for those who love nature and outdoor adventures. With its stunning landscapes, this Balkan country offers some truly, spectacular scenery and hiking opportunities. In this section, you’ll discover an array of thrilling hiking tours in Montenegro that cater to various fitness levels and preferences.
Dinaric Alps: A Hiker’s Paradise in Montenegro
For seasoned hikers, the Dinaric Alps offer one of the most rewarding experiences among Montenegro tours. Dominating the landscape with impressive peaks, dense forestation, and breathtaking vistas, these mountains promise delight to any adventure seeker. Two popular trail options within this area include:
- Durmitor Ring: This circular hike takes approximately 8-10 hours to complete and encompasses awe-inspiring scenery at every turn: mountains, grassy meadows, rivers teeming with underground springs, glacier lakes with pristine turquoise water, and jaw-dropping canyons.
- The Peaks of Zla Kolata: Consisting of several magnificent peaks including Velja Kolata (highest peak in Montenegro) at 2,534 meters above sea level), these trails are tailored for experienced hikers in search of a challenge.
Rugged Coastal Trails
If coastal terrains pique your interest more than mountainous ones, then look no further than touring Montenegro’s marvelous coastline on foot – prioritizing exploration over lazing by the beachside. Some highlights for adventurous spirits include:
- Sveti Stefan to Crvena Glavica Beach Trail: Weaving through forests along craggy cliffs with stunning views over the Adriatic Sea; during wildflower seasons you might even spot rare orchids.
- Lustica Peninsula: Boasting secluded beaches interspersed between rocky hillsides and olive groves; this hike serves as an immersion into Montenegrin pastoral life.
The Prokletije Mountains: A Hidden Gem
The Prokletije mountain range, also known as the “Accursed Mountains” and one of Montenegro’s best-kept secrets, offers unmatchable hiking experiences for intrepid travelers. Encircled by three national parks – Theth (Albania), Valbona Valley (Albania), and Prokletije National Park (Montenegro) – these mountains offer rugged beauty and magnificent sights such as:
- Volusnica Peak: Reaching 1,878 meters above sea level with incredible views across several valleys right up to Albania.
- Grbaja Valley Hike: Highlights include dense forests, imposing cliffs, steep gorges, glacial lakes and the jaw-dropping Grebaje Waterfall.
To ensure a memorable vacation spent discovering breathtaking landscapes on some of the best tours in Montenegro, consider including any or all of these captivating trails within your itinerary. No matter your hiking preference or expertise level, great adventures await you in this remarkable Balkan nation brimming with fascinating terrains just waiting to be explored.
Rafting Day Tours of Montenegro
Montenegro offers incredible opportunities for white-water rafting enthusiasts. With its crystal-clear rivers, rugged landscapes, and fantastic canyons, this country is a must-visit destination for anyone seeking adrenaline-pumping adventures on the water. In this section, I’ll introduce you to some of the best rafting day tours in Montenegro that cater to various skill levels and budgets.
Tara River Canyon Adventure
The Tara River Canyon, located within Durmitor National Park, boasts breathtaking scenery and thrilling rapids. It’s no wonder that it’s considered one of Europe’s top destinations for white-water rafting. With Montenegro tour operators offering a variety of day trips tailored to every experience level, from beginner to advanced, you’re sure to find an unforgettable adventure on this spectacular river. Some popular packages include:
- Half-day rafting experiences: Perfect for beginners or those short on time
- Full-day excursions: Dive into the heart-pounding rapids with a more extended trip
- Multi-day journeys: Combine your rafting adventure with exploration at nearby attractions like the Piva River or Black Lake (Crno Jezero)
Regardless of which option you choose, be prepared to witness majestic sights such as towering cliffs and cascading waterfalls during your Tara River expedition.
Morača River Excursion
Another top choice among Montenegro’s best tours in Montenegro is exploring the stunning turquoise waters of the Morača River. This vibrant body of water cuts through breathtaking landscapes characterized by dense forests and dramatic gorges. While not as intense as the Tara River rapids mentioned before, Morača still delivers plenty of excitement for thrill-seekers looking for fun in nature’s playground.
Popular activities available along the Morača include:
- Gentle floats down calm sections ideal for families with younger children
- Guided canoeing expeditions to discover hidden coves and natural beauties
- Full-day rafting trips that provide a mix of adventure and peaceful serenity in the midst of Montenegro’s charming wilderness
Cetina River Experience
Though it’s technically located just across the border from Montenegro, I must mention the amazing rafting excursions available on Croatia’s Cetina River. This pristine body of water is easily accessible through Montenegro package holidays offering day tours departing from locations like Budva or Kotor.
Cetina River adventures often feature:
- Three-hour adrenaline-pumping white-water sections suitable for experienced rafters
- Scenic stretches where you can soak up sights like ancient forests and impressive rock formations
- Opportunities to combine your tour with activities such as canyoning or zip-lining
- When selecting a rafting day tour of Montenegro, keep in mind that most packages include professional guides, equipment rentals, and meals so you won’t need to worry about additional costs beyond the initial fee. Remember to pack comfortable clothes, sunscreen, and don’t forget your spirit for adventure! Your exhilarating exploration of Montenegro’s remarkable rivers awaits.
Off-road Safari Day Tours of Montenegro
For those seeking a thrilling adventure that allows them to explore Montenegro’s breathtaking landscapes, an off-road safari day tour is the perfect way to delve into the country’s diverse terrain. These exhilarating excursions go beyond ordinary sightseeing and immerse you in the stunning scenery, providing unforgettable experiences for adventurous souls.
Discover Untamed Landscapes Through Off-Road Safari Adventures
Montenegro offers various off-road safaris that cater to different interests and skill levels, from leisurely rides through mountain foothills to challenging routes across rugged terrains. Some popular off-road safari tours include:
- Adventure Park Lovćen: Located near Cetinje, Adventure Park Lovćen offers an exciting off-road experience through untouched coniferous forests on Mount Lovćen. This thrilling tour will lead you around scenic landscapes brimming with natural beauty and historical significance.
- Skadar Lake Jeep Tours: Embark on a journey through Skadar Lake National Park by jeep, where you can venture into wild wetlands and experience local flora and fauna up close. An experienced guide will also enlighten you about the area’s unique bird species, making it an excellent choice for wildlife enthusiasts.
- Kolasin & Biogradska Gora: For travelers who prefer more remote locations, Kolasin and Biogradska Gora are ideal choices. Traverse narrow forest paths surrounded by old-growth trees and take in the allure of pristine lakes enclosed within these tranquil environments.
Guided Expeditions Led by Expert Instructors
Safety should be a top priority when planning an off-road safari adventure in Montenegro. To ensure your safety while navigating unfamiliar terrains, many tour operators provide guided expeditions led by skilled instructors. They not only teach you essential driving techniques but also share valuable insights about your surroundings as you traverse seemingly inaccessible terrain.
Tips for a Successful Off-Road Safari Day Tour
To fully enjoy your off-road safari tour in Montenegro, consider the following tips:
- Opt for a reputable tour provider with well-maintained vehicles, knowledgeable guides, and proven safety records.
- Do some research on the areas you’ll be visiting to understand their unique features, such as wildlife habitats, water crossings, or technical parts of the terrain.
- Dress appropriately for the weather and wear comfortable clothing that allows for maximum mobility. Closed-toe shoes are essential for protecting your feet during any outdoor activity.
- Bring your camera or smartphone to capture unforgettable moments amidst Montenegro’s awe-inspiring landscapes.
As one of the best tours in Montenegro, off-road safari day tours offer an unmatched experience combining adrenaline-filled fun with natural beauty exploration. So buckle up and get ready to create lasting memories while uncovering the mesmerizing hidden gems awaiting discovery within Montenegro’s rugged landscapes.
Discover the Best Tours in Montenegro 2023
Boat Tours of Montenegro
One of the most captivating ways to explore the beauty of Montenegro is by embarking on a boat tour. The country’s stunning coastline, dotted with picturesque bays, quaint villages, and awe-inspiring landscapes, offers unforgettable experiences. In this section, we will delve into some popular boat tours in Montenegro that you should consider adding to your itinerary.
Kotor Bay Cruise
Kotor Bay cruise is undoubtedly one of Montenegro’s gems, a cruise characterized by its crystal-clear waters, picturesque towns, and historic landmarks. A Kotor Bay cruise allows you to marvel at notable sights such as Our Lady of the Rocks island and St. George Island while reclining on a comfortable boat deck.
Some benefits of taking a Kotor Bay cruise include:
- Panoramic views of the bay;
- Stops at authentic fishing villages for lunch or dinner;
- Snorkeling opportunities in secluded coves;
- Visits to anchorages inaccessible by land.
Blue Cave and Lustica Peninsula Tour
Another popular boating destination is the Blue Cave located near the Lustica Peninsula. Known for its ethereal turquoise glow created by sunlight refracting through underwater tunnels beneath the cave’s ceiling, it provides an enchanting backdrop for swimming or snorkeling.
A trip to the Blue Cave often entails:
- Exploring hidden caves and beaches along Lustica Peninsula;
- Swimming in crystal clear waters surrounding Mamula Island;
- Passing by Fort Arza during scenic cruises back to mainland.
Perast Islands & Old Town Visit
The charming town of Perast is rife with architecturally impressive attractions such as St. Nicholas Church and Bujovic Palace Museum among others. Boat trips frequently depart from Perast harbor destined for two lovely islands: Our Lady of the Rocks and St.George Island – both accessible only via boat tour.
Perast Islands boat tours typically offer:
- Sweeping views of the bay while gliding through its calm waters;
- Hearing intriguing legends about Our Lady of the Rocks and St. George Island;
- Time to explore historic landmarks and museums.
- To sum up, boat tours in Montenegro are an essential element of experiencing this breathtaking country. They not only expose you to the serene beauty of its coastline but also provide a unique vantage point from which to admire the rich history and stunning landscapes found in and around Montenegro’s numerous coastal towns.
Frequently Asked Questions on Best Tours in Montenegro
How many days are enough for Montenegro?
When planning your Montenegro vacation, it’s essential to consider how much time you have and the type of experience you want. Generally, I recommend spending between 5-7 days for a fulfilling trip, which will allow you to explore most of the popular destinations and things to do in Montenegro. During this time, you can embark on tours of Montenegro’s main attractions such as Kotor Bay, Durmitor National Park, and Budva. For travelers seeking adventure or wanting to immerse themselves in Montenegrin culture even further, extending your stay up to 10 days or more is highly recommended.
What is the best area to stay in Montenegro?
Montenegro has diverse options when it comes to accommodation locations depending on your preferences:
- Kotor: This UNESCO-listed city offers a mix of historical architecture, stunning scenery, and access to nearby attractions.
- Budva: Famous for its vibrant nightlife and beautiful beaches, Budva is an excellent destination for those seeking a lively atmosphere alongside their sightseeing.
- Podgorica: As the nation’s capital, Podgorica offers convenient access to both northern (mountainous) and southern (coastal) regions while enjoying dining options and urban amenities.
Ultimately, choosing where to stay depends on your interests – whether it be culture-centric visits in Kotor or beach relaxation combined with coastal exploration around Budva.
Is Kotor a good base to explore Montenegro?
Yes, Kotor serves as an exceptional base from which you can embark on numerous Montenegro tours. With its proximity to top tourist attractions like Perast, Lovćen National Park, and renowned beaches such as Jaz Beach near Budva or picturesque Sveti Stefan island resort town—there’s no shortage of opportunities for memorable experiences in the region. Moreover, Kotor is also well-connected by public transportation and sits close to Tivat airport, making it convenient for both domestic and international travelers.
What are the best tips for Visiting Montenegro?
Here are my top five tips when planning your Montenegro vacation:
- Make time for nature: Don’t miss out on the beautiful natural landscapes like Durmitor National Park, Lovcen National Park, and Biogradska Gora National Park.
- Prepare for diverse weather conditions: Montenegro’s coastal regions offer a Mediterranean climate, whereas much cooler temperatures can be found in the mountainous areas—pack accordingly.
- Visit lesser-known gems: Do not only focus on popular locations; venture off-the-beaten-path destinations such as Lake Skadar or beautiful villages in the north near Žabljak.
- Respect cultural etiquette: Be respectful of local customs during your stay; modest clothing should be worn while visiting religious sites.
- Bring cash along with cards: Many smaller establishments may not accept credit cards—come prepared with some euros to avoid any inconvenience.
Would you recommend visiting the country of Montenegro?
Absolutely! Montenegro offers a rich history, stunning natural landscapes, charming towns, and inviting beaches sure to appeal to all types of travelers seeking adventure, relaxation or a mix of both within one compact destination. From exploring its historic cities like Kotor and Budva to embracing outdoor activities around Durmitor National Park—Montenegro undoubtedly stands out as an unmissable gem worth visiting on every European travel itinerary.
Montenegro Featured Tours and Activities
- Top Ten Tours and Experiences in 2023
- Where to go in Montenegro? 6 Day trips from Dubrovnik to Montenegro
- Travel guide to the Njegoš Mausoleum in Montenegro
- Travel guide to Tara River Canyon in Montenegro
- 10 Must see places to go hiking in Montenegro
- Where to go camping in Montenegro?
- Where to go skiing in Montenegro?
- 15 Best things to do in Budva, Montenegro
- Travel guide to Budva Old Town in Montenegro
- 5 Best things to do in Becici, Montenegro
- 10 Best things to do in Petrovac, Montenegro
- 8 Best things to do in Lustica Bay, Montenegro
- Lustica Peninsula travel guide: Best beaches on Luštica Peninsula, Montenegro
Montenegro General Knowledge Guides
- Discover the Hidden Gem: Where is Montenegro? Your Guide to the Jewel of the Balkans in 2023
- Stay Connected in Montenegro: Your Guide to Tourist SIM Cards in 2023
- Getting Around Made Easy: Your Guide to Taxis in Montenegro for Beginners in 2023
- Montenegro border webcams – live traffic at the Montenegrin border checkpoints
- Guide to weather in Montenegro and things to consider
- Guide to Montenegro for Beginners
- Airport transportation in Montenegro – going to or from Montenegro Airports
- Airline directory in Montenegro (Airlines with offices in Montenegro)
- How to get married in Montenegro
- Is Montenegro Safe?
- Best Internet Providers in Montenegro
- Montenegro Visa Guide
Montenegro Car Rental Guides
- 5 Best Montenegro Tours in Kotor
- Where to eat in Kotor, Montenegro near the Cruise Port?
- Travel guide to Kotor Old Town in Montenegro
- Guide to our lady of the rocks in Perast, Montenegro
- 9 Best things to do in Perast, Montenegro
- 6 Best things to do in Risan, Montenegro
- 6 Best things to do in Kolasin, Montenegro During Winter
- 8 Best things to do in Kolasin, Montenegro during summer
- 9 Best things to to in Danilovgrad, Montenegro
- Discover the Hidden Gems of Podgorica, Montenegro: The Ottoman Empire’s Legacy, Scenic Rivers, and More
Other Coastal Guides
North Montenegro Guides
- 5 Best things to do in Bijelo Polje, Montenegro
- 5 Best things to do in Pljevlja, Monatenegro
- Things to do in Zabljak during summer
- 15 Best things to do in Niksic, Montenegro
- 6 Best things to do in Plav, Montenegro
- 15 Best things to do in Cetinje, Montenegro
- 5 Best things to do in Rozaje, Montenegro
- Best things to do in Andrijevica, Montenegro
- 9 Best things to do in Berane, Montenegro
- Best things to do in Plužine, Montenegro
Wednesday, March 29
Tours in Montenegro: Uncover the Adriatic’s Best-Kept Secret
Discover Montenegro’s tranquil beaches, medieval cities, rugged landscapes, and vibrant culture on our expertly curated tours. Book now to explore the Adriatic’s hidden gem!
Monday, April 10
Car Rental in Montenegro: Find the Best Deals and Explore at Your Own Pace
Discover the best Montenegro car rental options and secure the best deals for your journey. Rent a car in Podgorica, find cheap car rentals, and explore Montenegro’s beauty with ease.
Friday, April 22
Relocation Services In Montenegro
We offer all the services you need to relocate to Montenegro. House purchase. Montenegro Temporary Residency. Montenegro Company Formation. Car rental in Montenegro. Property Management in Montenegro. Real estate in Montenegro. Tours in Montenegro. Montenegro lawyers and accountants.